Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts Student Loans

Dealing with Student Loan Debt When Active Duty Military

I am active duty for the last 15 years and I have been struggling to pay my student loan. I still owe 50,000 thousand dollar, and I simply cannot afford to make the payments. Is there a program that can help me as a military men to help me pay for this debt. I am going crazy with this situation and I don’t see the light to get out of this situation. Please Help ME…



Dear Fernando,

There is some good news for you if these are government subsidized student loans. If they are, and I’m hoping they are, then read Military Student Loan Forgiveness and Discharge Programs for details on what to do.

That article also includes information on potential waiver of interest programs for active duty military.

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

See also  My Husband is Active Duty Military and I Can't Make Ends Meet. - Carrie

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

1 Comment

  • Dear Fernando, There is Help out there for your Federal Student Loans. Military Debt Management Agency is a non-profit charitable organization that was organized in the fall of 1997. Originally it was formed to assist military personnel in obtaining previously denied security clearances. Military Debt Management Agency works with the Department of Education to help consolidate your Federal Student Loans. Our Certified Financial Counselors will review your student loans and determine which loans are applicable to be consolidated based on the Department of Education’s guidelines. Generally, your payment is about 50% less than your current minimum payment with a decrease of the interest rate between 1-6%. Once our counselors determine your eligibility and approximate payment, they will gather all the necessary information needed for the consolidation and send out all agreements and forms for your signature. From there our underwriting department will review your file and send it to Department of Education for final approval. From there the Department of Education will approve the consolidation, sending you a new promissory note to be signed and sent back and then your consolidation is done, and you’ll begin making payments at the lower amount. It’s that easy. Call me directly. 1-800-323-3343 ext. 565

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top