How Can I Take Care of My Tickets to Get My Drivers License Back? – Martin

“Dear Steve,

The amount is as old. THe court will not work out payment aggrement. I live in AZ which limits my options.

I have some tickets in almost $2000 and my liscense has been suspended untill they are paid in full. I’m in need of getting it taken care of it soon since i have a PT job pending. I have a full time job, but i’m only making 2080 a month and my bills are just under that. I could probably take care of it in 3 months, but i’ll loose my opportunity which is hard to come by these days. Are there any options for me?


Dear Martin,

Do You Have a Question You'd Like Help With? Contact Debt Coach Damon Day. Click here to reach Damon.

According to the State of Arizona:

This can vary, depending on the reason for the suspension. Court ordered suspensions require a clearance from the court. Other suspensions may require an SR-22. Once any required documentation is obtained, take the documents to your local driver license facility and pay the appropriate reinstatement and reapplication fees. A vision screening will be required, and you may be asked to take a written and/or road skills test. (See #25 for information on clearing a revocation.)

For reinstatement fees: Payment may be made by cash, cashier’s check or money order. Some offices accept credit cards. Cash and credit card not accepted by mail. No personal checks accepted.

If you have met all the requirements to reinstate except for paying the fees, then you may be able to reinstate online.

Suspended For Failure To Pay A Ticket Or Appear In Court

To reinstate your license:

  1. Contact the court listed on the suspension notice and pay all court penalties due.
  2. Obtain a court clearance receipt (with a final disposition code and date, violation code and date, and complaint number) or a Court Abstract form.
  3. Bring the receipt or Abstract to any MVD driver license office and pay a $10 reinstatement fee (no personal checks), in addition to an application fee (see chart). If we do not have a digital photo on file, you must apply in person. Otherwise, you may pay these fees by mail or online.

It appears the critical item here is to receive documentation that your court obligations have been satisfied.

This can be achieved by fully paying your fines and fees. It does not appear the State of Arizona offers a payment plan.

If you want to get the fines and fees reduced, you would need to work that out with the court that issued the fines and fees.

Some Arizona courts do allow you to pay by Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover by mail or phone

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.

Damon Day - Pro Debt Coach

Follow Me
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.
Steve Rhode
Follow Me
See also  I Have an Old Traffic Ticket. How Can I Get My Fines Reduced? - Michelle