Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts Bankruptcy Related

My Wife and I Are Legally Separated. She Was Served With Court Papers for a Debt. – Ron

“Dear Steve,

My wife and I are legally married with 2 kids, but have been seperated for 3 1/2 years. Last week, she was served with court papers for one of our credit card debts. We have a few cards that have all gone to collections.(around $15,000)

Here’s the problem. She and I are both unemployed, we have no money to file bankruptcy, or the credit to get a loan. Personally, I’d like to look into a consumer credit type thing, but how do you do that without a job. She wants to go for the quick fix and just file Bankruptcy, but we can’t pay for it. The only assets that we have that might have some value, would be our vehicles. Well we can’t aford to lose those in a bankruptcy either.

How can we deal with this situation? What would be the cheapest, more practicle direction to go with this?


Dear Ron,

Well she could just let the creditor move ahead with the suit and get a judgment. It doesn’t sound like she has any income or assets to garnish or levy so the judgment will just sit there and more interest will be charged on top of the old debt and legal fees she will be charged.

Ultimately bankruptcy is the appropriate solution in this situation. You can check to see if you might be eligible for free bankruptcy assistance by checking here.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

READ  Lost My Job, Upside Down in Mortgage, and Our Expenses Far Exceed Our Income. - Doug

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top