Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts Student Loan Related Student Loans

How Can I Stop a Student Loan Wage Garnishment if I Teach in a Low Income School

Written by Steve Rhode


Dear Steve,

I went through a divorce in 1997, after that I got behind on my payments. I have been teaching in a low income school district in Missouri for the past 11 years and my wages have been garnished for most of that time. I need to get out of this but don’t know what steps to take.

What steps do I take to get out of wage garnishment?



Dear Lacinda,

I’m assuming you are talking about a federal student loan.

I’ve got good news and unfortunate news.

The unfortunate news is if you had not previously consolidated these loans into a Direct Consolidation Loan you will be starting from scratch.

It is easy to stop a wage garnishment. Read The Easiest Way to Stop a Student Loan Wage Garnishment – Loan Rehabilitation.

To get your loans forgiven you can use the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program. See The Ultimate Guide to Dealing With Student Loans You Can’t Afford.

The PSLF program will require you make 120 on-time payments after you can consolidate your old loans into a Direct Loan.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

READ  Can I File Bankruptcy on My Federal Student Loans to Stop My Wage Garnishment?

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

1 Comment

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top