Date Received: 2017-12-11T00:00:00
Product: Federal student loan servicing
Issue: Dealing with your lender or servicer
Consumer Consent Provided to Share Complaint: Consent provided
Consumer Complaint: I ‘m being misled by my student loan servicer. They ‘re named Nelnet. Here ‘s how Nelnet misleads people : 1. You make payments online – in my case I ‘ve made four payments online over the past three months.
2. You get an email confirming your payment – The emails literally say ” Thank you for your payment. ” They show the payment amount, payment date, even the routing number and account number. I got these confirmations every time. All information listed was correct in each case. I know because I checked with my bank and with Nelnet.
3. This confirmation email is meaningless and misleading because you get them even if your payment is n’t processed – For reasons neither Nelnet or my bank could explain, none of the payments were processed.
4. No follow-up email is sent to alert borrowers that their payment was not successfully processed – again, incredibly concerning and misleading.
5. Meanwhile, interest on your loan keeps piling up even though you think you ‘re paying off your loan – Nelnet benefits at the figurative and literal expense of borrowers like me trying to do the right thing.
6. When I realized what was happening, I immediately made Nelnet aware. I asked for the interest to be waived. Nelnet refused saying that it was ” impossible. ” To recap : I paid my student loan payments to Nelnet online. They sent me confirmation emails that said ” Thank you for your payment. ” Yet they never received such payments. And they never told me that my payments had not been processed. Meanwhile, interest accrued.
Company: NELNET, INC.
State/Zip: MD 217XX
Company Response to Complaint: Closed with explanation
Was Company Response Timely: Yes
Did Consumer Dispute Company Response: N/A
Complaint ID: 2752323
The above data is from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Keep in mind that every company will get a complaint from time-to-time, even the great ones. But there are a few key data points that will give you an idea about how well the company values their customers and handles consumer issues.
Look at the item Company Response to Complaint: and Did Consumer Dispute Company Response: to get a better idea of how this was resolved. And the field Consumer Complaint: can give you some context of the issue.
In particular what you are looking for was that the company response was timely and that the consumer did not dispute it. The posting of complaints has proven to be a valuable resource for both companies and consumers.